braised lamb shanks
Happy Memorial Day! Here’s a recipe that’s sure to leave your guests speechless and wanting more. So go on…celebrate and enjoy every tasty morsel of this Braised Lamb Shank recipe, a small gift from Dr. Steph. This would pair perfectly with Dr. Steph’s Balsamic Green Bean Salad! Feel free to let us know how you like it.
Course - Main Dish
Cuisine - American
Servings: 6 Servings
- 1 Cup Almond/coconut flour Or your favorite gluten-free flour
- 6 Lamb shanks Seasoned with salt and pepper
- 5 Tbsp Extra virgin olive oil Divided
- 1 Leek White part only, chopped
- 4 Carrots Cut into 1/2 inch slices
- 1 Head garlic or 12 cloves, chopped
- 1 28 ounce can Diced tomatoes
- 1.5 Cups Beef or chicken broth
- 4 Sprigs Thyme
- To taste Sea salt
- To taste Freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Lightly flour each shank. Heat 3 tablespoons of the oil in a large heavy pot or casserole over medium high heat and brown shanks on all sides. Set aside.
- Wipe out pan. Heat remaining 2 tablespoons oil and sauté leek, carrots and garlic until lightly golden. Add lamb shanks, tomatoes, broth and thyme.
- Cover the pot and braise for 2 to 2 1/2 hours or until meat is tender, turning the shanks once or twice and covering with vegetables. Remove shanks to a serving platter.
- Place pot on stove over medium high heat and simmer a few minutes to thicken sauce slightly. Spoon over shanks and serve with risotto or mashed potatoes.
Recipe by Dr. Stephanie Chaney