12 Facts You Probably Never Knew About Vitamin D and Sunlight Exposure
Vitamin D has been shown to help prevent and improve osteoporosis, depression, prostate cancer, breast cancer, and even effects of diabetes and obesity. Vitamin D is perhaps the single most underrated nutrient in the world of nutrition. That’s probably because it’s free: your body makes it when sunlight touches your skin. Truth is, most people don’t know the real story on Vitamin D and health.
- Vitamin D is produced by your skin in response to exposure to ultraviolet radiation from natural sunlight.
- The healing rays of natural sunlight (that generate Vitamin D in your skin) cannot penetrate glass. So you don’t generate Vitamin D when sitting in your car or home.
- It is nearly impossible to get adequate amounts of Vitamin D from your diet. Sunlight exposure is the only reliable way to generate Vitamin D in your own body.
- A person would have to drink 10 tall glasses of Vitamin D fortified milk each day just to get minimum levels of Vitamin D into their diet.
- The further you live from the equator, the longer exposure you need to the sun in order to generate Vitamin D. Canada, the UK and most U.S. states are far from the equator.
- People with dark skin pigmentation may need 20 - 30 times as much exposure to sunlight as fair skinned people to generate the same amount of Vitamin D.
- Sufficient levels of Vitamin D are crucial for calcium absorption in your intestines. Without sufficient Vitamin D, your body cannot absorb calcium, rendering calcium supplements useless.
- Chronic Vitamin D deficiency cannot be reversed overnight: it takes months of Vitamin D supplementation and sunlight exposure to rebuild the body’s bones and nervous system.
- It is impossible to generate too much Vitamin D in your body from sunlight exposure: your body will self-regulate and only generate what it needs.
- Vitamin D is “activated” in your body by your kidneys and liver before it can be used.
- Having kidney disease or liver damage can greatly impair your body’s ability to activate circulating Vitamin D.
- Even though Vitamin D is one of the most powerful healing chemicals in your body, your body makes it absolutely free. No prescription required.
****If you are not able to be in the sun for 15-30 minutes per day without sunblock, you must get your Vitamin D blood levels checked – several of our patients are presenting with dangerously low levels! Get your results from your doctor or come into the office if you would like us to check it. We are now selling a very potent dose of the natural form of Vitamin D in flavorless drops. You can purchase online CLICK HERE or you can purchase in the office.