Lentils and Butternut Squash
- 1 medium butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cubed
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin coconut oil
- 4 teaspoons sea salt
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 3 cups chicken stock or water
- 2 cups dry brown lentils
- 1 cup of sun-dried tomatoes chopped
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 handfuls baby spinach leaves
- 2 tablespoons Italian parsley, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons roasted pine nuts, chopped
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 garlic clove, coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon Sriracha sauce
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400º F. On a large rimmed baking sheet add the butternut squash cubes, 3 tablespoons olive oil, 2 teaspoon salt and 1 teaspoon cinnamon. Toss to coat the squash. Bake for 30-40 minutes. Test doneness by piercing the squash with a fork. Remove and allow to cool for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a medium sauce pan add the chicken stock and bring to a boil. Add the lentils, 2 teaspoons salt, 2 teaspoons black pepper, sub-dried tomatoes and turn to medium-low and simmer for 15-20 minutes. Or until the lentils are tender but not mushy. Turn off the heat and allow to cool for a few minutes.
- In a small bowl mix the vinaigrette ingredients.
- In a large bowl add the spinach, parsley, pine nuts, squash, lentils and vinaigrette. Toss to combine and serve immediately
Combine the lentils and squash in 1 cup containers to eat as a snack, warm or cold!
Recipe by Living Health